Sunday 20 September 2009

NEW COLLECTION OF PAINTINGS

A body of my work is nearing a stage of completion....

The theme of these paintings has been ever present in my life...

And no doubt i will continue to paint the sea throughout my career...

However after this collection i hope to explore different approaches to the subject and develop my techniques further....

I started exploring this current body of work in 2006, I wished to express the same simple textures and intuitive mark making which comes more naturally to me in sculpture.
Perhaps as a sculptor who paints, rather than a painter who sculpts..

The subject matter, the sea, was not chosen conciously, although it is a constant in my life and a passion...

The unconciousness of the acts of painting became more obvious as i understood the connections between the painting and ongoing deep explorations of my own inner self...
This mostly occurred whilst living at Gwithian in the depths of winter...

The layers of paint and the obsession with prussian blue....
The textures, the use of palette knife and the movement....

The unconcious choice of the sea as subject matter seems to be a reflection and an expression of the exploration of the inner, deep and hidden depths of the psyche....

Perhaps a title for the collection might be "Hidden Depths"

I aim to finish the collection in the New Year (2010)....

No comments:

Post a Comment